The student news site of Archbishop Hannan High School

Hannan drops volleyball game against Country Day

October 1, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mark A Payton

Mark A Payton

Mark A Payton

Archbishop Hannan High school takes a 3-0(25-7, 25-17, 25-16) loss to Country Day.

The Hannan High volleyball team head coach, Mrs. Becky Bonnaffee, says she is unhappy with the outcome of the game. The volleyball team lost their game against country day by a blowout. Country Day was tough in the offense and capitalized on Hannan’s poor defense. Hannan struggled in serve receive and defense during the game.

“I think we have the potential to, but we need to raise our level”, answers Bonnaffee to the question asking if she thinks her team will win the state championship this year. The loss against Country Day was due to Hannan’s struggle in the defensive side of play but is just a minor setback for the big season ahead. The hawks have a big goal to achieve which is defending the title of state champions, and each player has to fulfill their expectations each game in order to pull it off.

Molly Banta, a freshman player on varsity, says she is excited about the upcoming season and thinks that it will be a good season. She thinks her team did well although they took a loss. Banta is happy with her performance because she got some blocks and hits.

“They were starting for a long time and anytime that happens it’s like starting over”, says Bonnaffee when asked if the loss of last year’s seniors will impact the season. Banta claims that the seniors made all of the team happy, they were good, and they made the team play together. The volleyball team at Hannan is returning state championships and hopes to hold on to that title this season.

Banta says that some of the new sophomores and freshmen will be a big part of the team because their good at back row and can hit well. She keeps a neutral view on whether or not the team will win the state championship again when saying “you never know” to if she thinks her team will win it again. The returning students and the new students have a big role to fill with the loss of last year’s seniors, and Bonnaffee says she is impressed with some of them.