Hannan students earn AP Scholar honors

August 23, 2019

Archbishop Hannan High School is pleased to announce that College Board has awarded 36 students with AP Scholar honors for their work in the 2018-19 school year.

AP Scholars are students who earned a three or higher on three or more AP Exams, with the highest honor being a National AP Scholar, which is granted to students in the United States who receive an average score of at least four on all AP Exams taken and scored of four or higher on eight or more of those exams.

The highest possible score on an AP Exam is a five. Students who earn at least a 3 are granted college credit at most universities in the country. Hannan has some students who began their college careers with over 12 hours of college credit, thus saving tuition costs of a semester.

Academic Dean Donalyn Hassenboehler praised the AP Scholars program as evidence of the academic excellence at Archbishop Hannan High School.

“Every subsequent year our AP teachers and students earn more AP Scholar Honors, raising the bar every year,” Hassenboehler said. “AP courses are taught at the college level to afford students that experience while still in high school. AP teachers must attend week-long staff development workshops from College Board to teach the courses, and their syllabi are approved by College Board.

“Rigorous exams determine the score of 1 through 5 for each course. Archbishop Hannan High School congratulates all our AP Scholars and their teachers for their diligence, intelligence, and dedication.”

Leading the pack was Class of 2019 graduate Kathlyn Dannewald who was granted the top honor of National AP Scholar. Dannewald’s average score was a 4.64 on the 11 different AP tests she took. Dannewald scored a five on seven of the AP tests.

Archbishop Hannan also had several students granted AP Scholar’s with Distinction, the second-highest honor through the AP program.

AP Scholar with Distinction is the title granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken and scores of 3 or higher on five or more of these Exams.

Aubrey Bethay, Keirsten Bryan, Sarah Dufour, Ethan Farrow, Adeline Fogle, Sarah Foy, Cade Guillory, Camille Jordan, Mallory Kramer, Morgan O’Donnell, Christopher Reso, Caera Taylor, Katelyn Wilson all earned AP Scholar with Distinction honors.

AP Scholar with Honor is the title granted to students who receive an average score of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken and scores of 3 or higher on four or more of these Exams.

Allison Anger, Nicholas Beattie, Ashley Burke, Sydney Hanhart, Monet Leckert and Bowman Talbot were all granted AP Scholar with Honor distinction.

Sydney Allen, Niccolo Bonura, Taylor Davidson, Lea Disimone, Mary Claire Gianoli, Marie Honoree, Benjamin Hundley, Sarah Labbe, Ethan Leggio, Adam McCann, Justin Mouledous, Kameron Newman, Loren Pounds, Katelyn Richards, Abigail Roy and Sarah Sanchez all were named AP Scholars.