The student news site of Archbishop Hannan High School

Hawks star at LASC event

January 29, 2018

Student Council members attend the 68th annual Louisiana Association of Student Council’s Convention at Captain Shreve High School in Shreveport, Louisiana on Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend January 13, 14, and 15.

During the convention, the Hannan delegation and representative Nathan Estopinal campaigned for and won the office of LASC state president for the first time in school history.

“LASC 2018 was such and awesome experience, said Estopinal. “Never in my wildest dreams did I think that Hannan would ever become the State President, I am so beyond thrilled to lead the Young leaders of our state and look forward to the year ahead of us!”

Hannan used the classic Disney film The Lion King as their campaign theme with the slogan, “I Just Can’t Wait to be President,” a riff off the iconic lion king anthem “I Just Can’t Wait To Be King.”

Hannan performed a 5 minute skit using their theme that incorporated the student council’s history with LASC and the positive attributes of the council on taking on the position. Nathan Estopinal also gave a campaign speech during a general session on the second night of convention.

Hannan Student Council also received many other honors over the weekend. Seniors Abby Anger and Michael Messina were each awarded the Dale Hawley Award, which is the highest award given to a student from the state organization. Julia Ernst won 2nd place in the state wide ornament decorating contest that went with the convention’s storybook theme. The student council also received recognition for their donation to the state charity project for muscular dystrophy, guidance counselor appreciation week, and was named a state gold council.

Estopinal, who has held the position of District 2 president this past year, is only the second Hannan Student to ever hold a state office, first was Abby Anger who held the office of state secretary host in 2017.

Charles Baird, student council moderator, is hopeful about the future of the organization on the state level. “I’m very excited and proud with the advancement that our students have displayed through their hard work and enthusiasm,” said Baird. “I look forward to this upcoming year as Hannan holds the office of the presidency to see where we can go and what advances we can make within the organization and within the state.”