Archbishop Hannan earns Regional office at SASC

November 27, 2017

The Archbishop Hannan High School Student Council traveled to Ocoee Florida for the annual Southern Association of Student Councils convention held October 27-30.

SASC brings together Student Councils from 15 states in the southeastern region for a weekend of networking, leadership development, idea sharing and service projects.

This year was the first time in school history that Hannan has ever held a regional office. Senior Class President Abby Anger and District II President Nathan Estopinal held the position of Co-Parliamentarians for the convention after being elected at the 2016 convention in Nashville, Tennessee.

“Holding a regional position was something I would have never thought I could accomplish, but holding a title was a honor that came with a lot of responsibilities,” said Estopinal. “I think the best part of of holding this position was the ability to represent my school, but not only that, my state.”

Anger and Estopinal were responsible for conducting the regional election during the conference and served as timekeepers during the campaign speeches and skits. They were also in charge of enforcing proper parliamentary procedure and ensuring that the constitution and bylaws were followed at all times.

Hannan delegates to the conference participated in a variety of workshops and seminars that focused on student leadership as well as project sharing sessions where students from different schools could share ideas to take back to their schools.

Hannan also participated in a variety of contests with the other schools, in which Senior Class Secretary Vincent Graziano won 3rd Place in the Senior High Speech Contest. Abby Anger also received the SASC Senior Student Council Leadership Scholarship for $1,000.

“In my past five years on student council, I have had the privilege of working with so many amazing student leaders who inspire me everyday,” said Anger. “I hope to have inspired younger students to step out of their comfort zone and jump into leadership at the district, state and regional level.”

Hannan Student Council has become very active in the past few years on the district, state, and regional levels. Hannan won its first state officer position when Abby Anger was elected Secretary-Host at the 2015 Louisiana Association of Student Councils Convention. In holding this office Hannan hosted the 2016 Convention, marking the first time that Hannan hosted the state convention and the first time a school on the Northshore and in St. Tammany Parish has ever hosted. Hannan has been involved on the District level for years with Anger serving as District II President last year as well as Estopinal currently.

“Seeing the growth of Student Council is like watching my dreams come true,” said Student Council Advisor Charles Baird. “When I revamped Student Council in 2010 this was a long term goal of mine that I am now watching become a reality. The successes of my student council officers show that hard work does pay off, it surely wasn’t instantaneous by any means and was a long hard road traveled but was worth the wait.”