The student news site of Archbishop Hannan High School

The Hawkeye

Código Color Memorias

Madelyn Morel, Contributor

On Wednesday, March 23rd, Doctor Tablante arranged for the crew that created the documentary “Código Color Memorias” to show the members of the National Spanish Honor Society a screening of the film. Writer and director, William Sabourin O’Reilly, is originally from Cuba and found his way to the US in 1999. O’Reilly has been writing, producing, and directing short films ever since, including a film called “Old Orleans: The Clash Between a Storm and a City” released shortly after Hurricane Katrina. Some of O’Reilly’s photos from the storm were even featured on The History Channel and National Geographic Channel. Producer of the film, Antonia Zennaro, is an Italian photographer who resides in Hamburg, Germany and New Orleans.
The short film brings awareness to the issue of racism throughout mid-1900s Cuba. The filmmakers incorporate creative usage of powerful visuals to portray how people view “color”. The documentary also includes the stories of many Cubans who lived through this burdensome time. Código Color Memorias not only seeks to educate the Cuban youth about their cultural past, but also gives an in depth insight to adolescents as a whole. The film is powerful in its ability to open the eyes of today’s youth to the way we view and judge race.
Junior member of the National Spanish Honor Society, Kayci Boe, says, “I really enjoyed getting to see something like this because I never have before. I think it was good that we, as American students, got to see what life is like in Cuba. It was also very interesting to be able to speak with the producers afterward and get their insight on filmmaking”.
All in all, the members of the National Spanish Honor Society were able to enjoy an evening of snacks and beverages while getting to experience firsthand this amazing film.