The student news site of Archbishop Hannan High School

The Hawkeye

Unstructured Period

Grace Pierson, Contributor

Next year, Archbishop Hannan High School has announced that there will be a new class period for upcoming juniors and seniors called unstructured period. This will be a period for students to get extra time to complete homework and study for tests and quizzes that might not have gotten done before. It is also designed to get students more organized and be able to get better grades in their classes. The class was created specifically to aid students in higher level classes such as AP and honors courses. However, any junior or senior can take this course for some extra free time.

Students will be able to go to some designated spots on campus to focus. It is a free range course with no specific curriculum and it will take the place of one of the eight courses that students take each year. This has created a sort of controversy because some students are worried that it will affect their GPA and the choosing of valedictorian and salutatorian because it will not appear on the student’s transcripts. Administration is currently working out the problem and determining a fix for this possible issue.

Despite the controversy, many students are very excited about this new course next year. Junior, Maiya Delpidio, explains “I feel like the unstructured period will help with keeping organized and on top of my school work.”

Maddy Morel, also a current junior, says “I am excited to have more time to work on school work.”

This seems to be a pretty popular idea with the majority of the school. Another current junior who plans on taking this unstructured period next year, Alex Hodgson, shares “I think it is a smart way to help students manage their time especially with different extracurricular and clubs. I think it is going to, overall, help us be more organized and get better grades.”

Most people are looking forward to this new addition to the school and it is only a matter of time to see if this course will be as successful as it was intended to be.