The student news site of Archbishop Hannan High School

The Hawkeye

Student Profile: Cole Cameron

Senior Cole Cameron is living life through his own personal philosophy: to maintain his cool during stressful situations. From his days at Kehoe-France, Cole escaped the hardships of his parents’ divorce through stimulating games and puzzles. As he’s grown into life as a teenager, Cole has involved himself in bowling, robotics, golf, theater, reading comics, and playing strategy games like Magic: The Gathering and League of Legends.

As a member of the Hannan Bowling team, Cole believes that “while we don’t have the results we might want, I can see improvement in the team.” Bowling is just as strategic as the card games Cole plays in his free time, with the added competition and pride in representing Archbishop Hannan. “My highest score I’ve thrown came this season with a 244. I’m glad I was able to help bring bowling back to Hannan, it’s a mark that will hopefully last for years to come.”

He jokingly claimed that he classifies as “not just your normal nerd, this is advanced nerdom.”

Many of Cole’s best friends have come from playing Magic, a strategic card game. “League is a whole different story. I play it for its flexibility and complexity. League contains an immense amount of mechanics and other skills.” The connection Cole made between these games is the escape they provide. “Whenever I’m having a bad day or just not feeling well, I can hop on the computer or go to Big Easy Comics (card store where Magic is played) and relax, while still loving the mental outplays I do in my head.”

As high school tenure comes to a close, Cole plans on majoring in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

“I’m ready for the adventure,” he excitedly stated. “While I’m thankful for what I’ve got and what I’ve learned up until now, I crave the adventure. Sure life’s gonna throw you a few curveballs, but you go down swinging, and those hard hits? Get up and hit harder. I’m thankful for everything that’s happened to me, good or bad, because it’s made me who I am, and for the first time in a while, I’m happy with who I am.”