The student news site of Archbishop Hannan High School

The Hawkeye

Junior Class Gets Closer to History at National WWII Museum

The brutality of combat, the constant fear, and life as a factory-working woman were just some of the many reminders of WWII experienced by the junior class during a recent field trip to the National WWII Museum in New Orleans. On Monday, January 23rd and Friday, January 27th Archbishop Hannan’s junior class were able to get a glimpse of the reality of war at the WWII Museum. The juniors had a plethora of experiences at the museum.
When asked what he enjoyed most at the museum, Noah Hughes, member of the class of 2018, said, “My favorite part of the field trip was the movie. All the effects were really cool.”

The unique, 4D movie enabled students to gain a better idea of life on the battlefield with special sound effects, bright lights, and physical props. The movie also incorporated examples of letters and telegrams sent to the families of fallen soldiers allowing watchers to better understand the pain and grief felt by those on the Homefront during the war.

“The movie was really interesting. It was a different and fun way to learn about WWII,” said junior Grace Pierson when asked for her thoughts about this fraction of the trip.

In addition to the 4D insight into the war, students also walked around and were able to enjoy and discuss aspects of all the displays. Comprising of life-size combat planes, uniforms and gear, and virtual maps, the museum and its exhibits provided students a hands-on experience. The virtual maps gave users a brief look into aspects such as the geography, topography and unique facts about the Battle of the Bulge or the Battle of Midway.

Having the opportunity to visit the World War II Museum allowed the eleventh grade class to gain knowledge about this era that would be impossible to retain in a classroom. For instance, the juniors were able to interact with and listen to a WWII veteran speak about his experience as a soldier when he was only a few years older than the students themselves. Several of the juniors say that hearing about the war from a primary source helped put into perspective the goriness of being on the battlefield and the pain caused by being so far from family and friends.

Eleventh grader, Tess Morton, shared her experience of speaking with the veteran: “Being able to talk to someone who physically lived through a time like this was a cool way for us to learn more about what it was actually like to be in combat.”
The trip to the WWII Museum was a great learning experience for the junior class. The physical props, 4D movie and displays enabled the students to really appreciate the intensity of the war. It is an educational adventure that all underclassmen should look forward to.